QUALITY OF LIFE
In Henrico, you get the best of both worlds – low cost of living and great quality of life. Henrico offers friendly and safe communities with the right lifestyle and education choices for every budget, interest and need. Top-notch schools, thriving neighborhoods, and a rich and diverse culture make it easy to love where you live.
The average commute in Henrico is 21 minutes.
In Henrico County, we offer tremendous educational opportunities for all ages.
- Four of our high schools were ranked among the best in the nation for 2016 by "U.S. News & World Report."
- Nine schools have been recognized by the Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence.
- Henrico is home to two top-rated K-12 private schools.
- We offer 15 advanced specialty centers for students.
- Ours was the first public school system to begin a “one-to-one” computer-to-student laptop initiative.
- Henrico has the most teachers certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in Central Virginia.
Colleges and Universities:
- The Richmond region is home to nearly 30 colleges, universities and professional schools.
- From urban to waterfront and historic to modern, we’ve got it all – with consistently low real estate taxes.
- The average assessed value of a Henrico single-family residence as of January 2016 was $232,800. At the current tax rate of $0.87 per $100 of assessed value, the average annual real estate tax would be $2,025.36.
Health & Safety
- Healthcare – The Richmond area excels in healthcare, with multiple nationally recognized hospitals. The region has more than 4,100 physicians, 19 acute care and specialty hospitals, and the largest teaching hospital in Virginia – VCU Medical Center.
- Police and Fire & Rescue – Henrico’s safety divisions are among the best in the U.S. and have received national and international accreditations and distinctions.
Things to Do
- Entertainment & Arts – Enjoy numerous museums, art galleries and fine arts events, or listen to live music at Innsbrook Pavilion.
- Shopping & Dining – Get a taste of award-winning cuisine and top-rated breweries in Henrico.
- Sports & Recreation – Henrico is a premier athletic destination and home to Richmond International Raceway, known as America’s Premier Short Track for NASCAR.
- Parks – With over 40 parks and recreational facilities, Henrico is a great place to hike, relax, picnic or play.
- Libraries – Henrico offers nine branch libraries, one municipal library, and numerous free computer and online services.
From 1611 to Today
Our history of progress dates all the way back to 1611, when the City of Henricus was founded by Sir Thomas Dale as an alternative to the swampy and dangerous area around Jamestown Settlement to the east. As the second-oldest English settlement in the nation, Henrico’s legacy of success is far reaching. From Henrico came nine additional counties and two cities that are still part of our local landscape.